2021 Outlook for Investing in Qualified Opportunity Zones
April 20, 2021 | Colin Cosgrove | Inland Real Estate
Since the creation of the Qualified Opportunity Zone (QOZ) program in 2017 as part the Tax Cuts and Jobs Acts, with a focus on low-income communities and census tracts across the country, these investments have raised approximately $75 billion1. Opportunity zones provide an incentive to allocate funds to help spur economic development and job creation in exchange for a temporary tax deferral and potential tax elimination. An investment in a QOZ property before the December 31, 2021 deadline may qualify for a 10 percent step-up in basis, a readjustment of the asset to current fair market value, thus reducing capital gains tax due on the original gain.
How Does Investing in a QOZ Work?
The tax benefits of investing in QOZs may be enticing for those with capital gains, however, it is important to know that realized gains must be invested into QOZ property within 180 days from the date of the sale or exchange of the appreciated asset. Investments will not be taxed on the sale of the assets until 2026 and may qualify for a 10 percent step-up in basis on the original gain if the investment occurred on or before December 31, 2021, thus decreasing the overall tax payment. After a full 10-year hold, the investment may qualify for full capital gains tax elimination.Go Back
- Invesco Real Estate Income Trust Inc. Closes Two Credit Transactions Totaling $51.8 Million in Commitments
- Gladstone Land Announces Election of Paula Novara as Director
- Gladstone Commercial Corporation Announces Monthly Cash Distributions for October, November and December 2022 and Third Quarter Ended September 30, 2022 Earnings Release and Conference Call Dates
- Gladstone Land Announces Increase in Monthly Cash Distributions for October, November and December 2022 and Third Quarter Ended September 30, 2022, Earnings Release and Conference Call Dates
- Capital Square Acquires Luxury Multifamily Community Near Louisville for DST Offering
Blue Vault helps me to stay well informed on the financial status of both open and closed nontraded REITs and BDCs, so that I can help my clients better understand the product, before they make the decision to invest and after.