The $19.5 Billion Dollar Industry No One Was Paying Attention To:
Interval and Closed-End Funds
May 16, 2017 | by Jared Schneider | Blue Vault
Recent headlines have continued to talk about the decline in sales of some alternative investment types, but what is not discussed is the growth in other alternative investments. For example, the combination of interval funds and nontraded closed-end funds (“nontraded CEFs”) amounts to approximately $19.5 billion in assets under management as of December 31, 2016.
While many in the alternative investment industry have been focused on other investments, these nontraded CEFs and interval funds have been quietly growing, with big asset manager names like PIMCO, Blackstone, BlackRock, Apollo, Invesco, FS Investments and Griffin Capital. In 2016 alone, net capital inflows were well over $3 billion. There are a few reasons why these investments have been picking up steam as of late.
One reason is that the structure allows for regular liquidity provisions through a tender offer or repurchase program, although still a relatively illiquid investment. Liquidity typically comes as a via a quarterly liquidity program versus daily as in a mutual fund structure.
Another reason is that the valuation policies allow the investments to sit in an RIA (registered investment adviser), hybrid, or self-directed brokerage account more easily.
Additionally, multiple share classes can accommodate different classes of investors and types of brokerage accounts.
There are drawbacks, of course, and Blue Vault will cover these topics in future articles. We will also delve into the types of assets in which these broad-reaching funds invest. For more information on Interval Funds and Nontraded CEFs, see our Interval Fund and Nontraded CEF Review.Go Back
- Invesco Real Estate Income Trust Inc. Closes Two Credit Transactions Totaling $51.8 Million in Commitments
- Gladstone Land Announces Election of Paula Novara as Director
- Gladstone Commercial Corporation Announces Monthly Cash Distributions for October, November and December 2022 and Third Quarter Ended September 30, 2022 Earnings Release and Conference Call Dates
- Gladstone Land Announces Increase in Monthly Cash Distributions for October, November and December 2022 and Third Quarter Ended September 30, 2022, Earnings Release and Conference Call Dates
- Capital Square Acquires Luxury Multifamily Community Near Louisville for DST Offering
I have been using Blue Vault Partners for the past five years. I have found them to be a valuable, unbiased resource when it comes to evaluating and comparing non-traded REITs. The reports help me analyze which sponsors are doing a responsible job of managing their offerings. This allows me to limit my REIT recommendations to only the most competitive products, and then track those REITs throughout their life cycle.