What’s Next for the DOL Fiduciary Rule?
October 11, 2016 | by Beth Glavosek | Blue Vault
With the results of the U.S. election in, there’s already speculation about the future of the Department of Labor (DOL) fiduciary rule that was finalized last year. Some are defending the rule, while others are hoping it will be repealed or changed.
The rule, expected to take effect in April 2017, now stands in question. “It is extremely likely the DOL fiduciary rule will not go into effect as planned in April 2017,” says Edward Mills, a policy analyst at investment bank FBR Capital Markets. Mr. Mills said Mr. Trump would most likely delay or block the rule through legislation, “most likely through a rider to an appropriations bill.” (source: Wall Street Journal)
Investment News reports that some stakeholders, like the Financial Services Institute, are hopeful for change. “We stand ready to work with [Mr. Trump’s] administration in ensuring Main Street Americans have access to objective and affordable financial advice as they save for a dignified retirement, pay for their children’s education and help care for aging parents,” FSI president and chief executive Dale Brown said in a statement.
However, others have expressed caution. In a statement to Trust Advisor, Pamela Sandy, the 2016 president of the Financial Planning Association says, “A rule is much more difficult to undo than a piece of legislation, so for now nothing changes. While it’s too early to fully understand the intentions of President-Elect Trump and the incoming Congress with regard to the rule, our hope is he will continue the work of the current administration to safeguard the futures of millions of American retirees.”Go Back
- Invesco Real Estate Income Trust Inc. Closes Two Credit Transactions Totaling $51.8 Million in Commitments
- Gladstone Land Announces Election of Paula Novara as Director
- Gladstone Commercial Corporation Announces Monthly Cash Distributions for October, November and December 2022 and Third Quarter Ended September 30, 2022 Earnings Release and Conference Call Dates
- Gladstone Land Announces Increase in Monthly Cash Distributions for October, November and December 2022 and Third Quarter Ended September 30, 2022, Earnings Release and Conference Call Dates
- Capital Square Acquires Luxury Multifamily Community Near Louisville for DST Offering
I have been in the financial services industry for 20 years and our firm provides an education platform that gets clients to “think differently” about their financial picture. For many years we have communicated to clients the need to diversify their portfolios using alternative asset classes and more specifically, private non-traded investments. Due diligence on these types of financial vehicles is essential and when I learned about Blue Vault in 2010, our firm immediately began using their material as a tool to build confidence in the minds of our advisors on which alternatives to recommend to clients. I am impressed with the way Blue Vault continues to add value to their subscribers and I view their publication as a tremendous resource in today’s complex world.