Will Real Estate Investors Benefit from Tax Changes?
December 20, 2017 | Beth Glavosek | Blue Vault
Now that the “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act” has been passed by Congress and signed by President Trump, investors in real estate investment trusts (REITs) and other alternative real estate investments may stand to benefit.
Tax benefits are part of REITs’ appeal, so it’s fair to wonder how any changes in tax code would affect these investments. Here’s a short list of some of the implications.
Reduction in taxes on dividends/distributions
REIT shareholders who now pay the top income tax rate of 39.6% on dividends they receive would see that rate drop to 29.6%, according to Nareit, formerly the National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts. “Clearly this is a deduction that will lower the overall tax rate for individuals who invest in REITs,” said Dianne Umberger, REIT lead for Ernst & Young’s National Tax Department, as quoted in the Wall Street Journal this week. Note: the tax rate on any capital gains remains unchanged.
Like-Kind Exchanges Remain for Real Estate
The bill in its current form preserves the tax advantages of 1031 (like kind) exchanges for real estate properties. This is good news for those who need to relocate or upgrade into assets that better meet their business needs. However, 1031 benefits have been eliminated for other categories of investments like art and collectibles.
Asset Depreciation Schedules May Spur New Construction
According to Reis, businesses will be able to immediately expense many asset purchases; after five years of 100% expensing, the rate will phase out at 80%/60%/40%/20% rates over the ensuing four years.
As the implications from this tax bill unfold, Blue Vault will report updates as we receive them.Go Back
- Invesco Real Estate Income Trust Inc. Closes Two Credit Transactions Totaling $51.8 Million in Commitments
- Gladstone Land Announces Election of Paula Novara as Director
- Gladstone Commercial Corporation Announces Monthly Cash Distributions for October, November and December 2022 and Third Quarter Ended September 30, 2022 Earnings Release and Conference Call Dates
- Gladstone Land Announces Increase in Monthly Cash Distributions for October, November and December 2022 and Third Quarter Ended September 30, 2022, Earnings Release and Conference Call Dates
- Capital Square Acquires Luxury Multifamily Community Near Louisville for DST Offering
I have been in the financial services industry for 20 years and our firm provides an education platform that gets clients to “think differently” about their financial picture. For many years we have communicated to clients the need to diversify their portfolios using alternative asset classes and more specifically, private non-traded investments. Due diligence on these types of financial vehicles is essential and when I learned about Blue Vault in 2010, our firm immediately began using their material as a tool to build confidence in the minds of our advisors on which alternatives to recommend to clients. I am impressed with the way Blue Vault continues to add value to their subscribers and I view their publication as a tremendous resource in today’s complex world.